Friday 24 April 2020

Words That Heal

Words That Heal

It's just over a month since Mum died, and we have had cards, letters, e-mails and phone calls from the four corners of the earth; all of them kind and loving and sympathetic, and every message welcome.

One dear friend reminded us Psalm 91 holds words of comfort, whilst other friends have included wonderful poetry, reminding us that there is great comfort to be found in the understanding of other writers of the human condition. Here is a selection of some that our lovely friends have sent to us:

Death is only an old door
set in a garden wall.
On quiet hinges it gives at dusk,
when the thrushes call.

Along the lintel are green leaves,
beyond, the light lies still;
Very weary and willing feet
go over that sill.

There is nothing to trouble any heart,
nothing to hurt at all.
Death is only an old door
in a garden wall.

Nancy Byrd Turner


A Scots Farewell

When I come to the end of the road 
And the sun has set for me
I want no tears in a good-filled room
Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little but not for long
And not with your head bowed low
Remember the love that we once shared
Miss me but let me go.
For this is a journey we all must take
And each must go alone
It's all a part of the master plan
A step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to the friend we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds
Miss me ... but let me go.



A quotation from Joyce Grenfell:

If I should go before the rest of you
Break not a flower nor inscribe a stone,
Nor when I’m gone speak in a Sunday voice
But be the usual selves that I have known.
Weep if you must,
Parting is hell,
But life goes on,
So sing as well.

And that poem brings me to the wonderful folks who have sent us anecdotes, clever puns on words, amusing photos they've seen; witty and funny messages which also cheer us all up, and remind us life does go on. To all the kind and loving people who might be reading this: please don't stop!


We shall sing (and laugh) as well. 










No comments:

Post a Comment