Saturday 11 April 2020

A Super Moon


A Super Moon

There was a Super Moon rising in the sky between 6.30 p.m on Tuesday evening, until 6.30 a.m. on Wednesday morning, so there were 12 hours to view this reasonably rare sight - a full moon, at its closest to the earth, looking so much larger and imposing than usual. 

I was in the garden from about 10.30 - 11.00 p.m. on Tuesday night, and took my binoculars with me;  how beautiful the moon looked. I could see the craters and the seas, and just to think astronauts have walked on that surface, over 50 years ago, is still breathtaking.

I was in Durban at the time of the first moon landing; there was no television available in South Africa then, so I didn't watch it live, like people could in Europe, but I did see the reports on the newsreel in the cinema.

I also remember a quotation (can't recall who said it!) that if you are missing someone, and look up at the moon, remember that same moon is looking down on you, as well as on the person you are missing.

It also brings to mind the second verse from an aria in Gilbert and Sullivan's operetta, The Mikado:

Observe his flame, that placid dame, the moon's celestial highness;
There's not a trace upon her face of diffidence or shyness:
She borrows light, that through the night, mankind may all acclaim her!
And truth to tell, she lights up well, so I, for one, don't blame her.

Ah, pray make no mistake, we are not shy;
We're very wide awake, the moon and I!
Ah, pray make no mistake, we are not shy;
We're very wide awake, the moon and I!

I've sung this! and for someone who prefers singing Marlene Dietrich numbers, it was jolly difficult, but I learned a lot, and managed to hit the high notes in the end.


Catching the moon with a long-handled picking-up tool!
A new bauble for the Christmas tree
A jet racing the moon
The moon gets closer!


The best definition yet
The night garden - there be trolls out there!



No comments:

Post a Comment