Saturday 28 March 2020

Mum Is "Promoted To Glory"

Mum Is Promoted To Glory

When we lived in Dar-es-Salaam, we often attended services by the Salvation Army - we loved their warmth, the great hymns and the sheer kindness and practical help the officers gave us, during times of trouble.  When someone died, Salvation Army Officers were described as having been "Promoted to Glory."

Mum was Promoted to Glory on Monday, 23 March 2020.

We know Mum was still with us at ten past midnight; she was snug and tucked up in bed, and I looked in on her to say Goodnight and God bless, and tell her I loved her. I went upstairs to write a couple of letters, and then went back to check on Mum before going to bed myself.

I got closer to Mum, and felt her head; she wasn't cold, but she wasn't very warm either; I felt for a pulse, but because Mum's breathing has been getting shallower and softer, I couldn't feel one. I rang Al, and he immediately offered to drive straight over to us and help me to check Mum, but by now it was almost 1.00 a.m., and I didn't want to commit him to a long drive.

I said Mum was tucked up nice and warm, so we agreed I should leave it until I got up in the morning, and see how she was then.

When we went downstairs at 7.00 a.m. and went in to Mum, it was clear she had passed; she was cold and rigor mortis had set in to a degree.

In fact, I believe Mum died at about 1.00 a.m. on Monday morning, and so peacefully; she was like a fragile leaf on a delicate twig, blowing gently in the breeze. It was how we had prayed it would be for her: so kindly, with no fear, just a gentle slipping into Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment