Tuesday 24 March 2020

A Diversion For Uncle John


A Diversion For Uncle John

When Mum was admitted to hospital, and we had still had received no reply from the Office of the Public Guardian in Brisbane regarding their investigations into how Uncle John is being treated by his son, I was more and more aware of how fast time is ticking, and how little we might have left of it.

We took a photo of Mum in bed on the ward, and I wrote again to the OPG, sending them the picture, emphasising that time was now crucial, and asking how much longer their investigations might take.

I sent this e-mail on 8 March:

Dear Mrs Shipman

I am writing to let you know that on Friday, 6 March, my mother was vomiting blood, and was admitted to Queens Hospital in Romford, where she remains as an in-patient. The doctors are very concerned about her because the oedema is very severe; she has been given a blood transfusion and is on oxygen; they are concerned about her heart, lungs and kidneys. 

As I have said before, since she last spoke to him on 22 June 2019, my mother has been asking for her brother, and whilst I appreciate your investigations as to why Uncle John’s son has been so intransigent about allowing anyone to contact my Uncle have to be very thorough, we fear that as she is over 100 years old, there may be very little time left to enable her to have a conversation with Uncle John.

Should you need proof of my mother’s precarious situation, I will attach a photo of her on the ward at Queens hospital.

Your earliest response will be much appreciated.

Yours sincerely

Alexandra Wilde


Mum in Hospital


I received a reply on 12 March:

Good morning Ms Wilde,

I am sorry to hear about your mother’s health.

I can provide an update that Ms James has completed the investigation report and I will be reviewing this as a priority.  When the internal review of this report has been completed, you will be provided with the outcome advice.

Kind regards

Samantha Shipman

Time is not of the essence with these authorities! and Mum has still not been able to speak to Uncle John. The last time she did have a conversation with him, was on 22 June, the day Wendy was leaving Brisbane to fly back to England. Before she drove to the airport, she visited Uncle John at the Nursing Home, and managed to connect us on a Skype call. After that, we were allowed no further contact - and neither was anyone else.

 Have these people no heart? No conscience? No compassion?


No comments:

Post a Comment