Thursday 30 June 2022

Back To The Past - Imperial Hotel Memories

Back To The Past - Memories of The Imperial Hotel, Torquay

Well, now: further to my piece earlier this month about our Starlight Dancing holiday in Torquay, whilst we were there, I also went down another "lane of memory," returning to The Imperial Hotel for a special afternoon tea. 

I have written before about my family's associations with Torquay: Grandson Al’s paternal family is there, with cousins in Newton Abbott, and, during the war, my Grandma, my Mum and my Uncle John all worked at The Imperial Hotel. My Uncle was Secretary to the then Manager, my Mum was a Receptionist, and my Grandma was a Chambermaid, and they had such tales to tell about all the famous guests who stayed there, and during our dancing holiday, we made a really sentimental journey to The Imperial Hotel, exploring and admiring the views from the terrace, overlooking the boats in Torbay.


To remind myself of a little background to this story, whilst Uncle John was still living in Brisbane, every year he would come back to visit us for the summer, and every year we would go to places that held special memories for him, and for Mum. I would get in touch with the local press, and they were always interested to hear about his life and wanted to meet him; this always resulted in an interesting article in the paper. 

During Uncle John's stay with us in 2011, we all reminisced about the time during the war, when he, my Mum and my Grandma lived and worked in Torquay.

In 1943, my grandfather died in an accident at work; after sorting out all the paperwork that followed the tragedy, and especially since Mum's elder brother, Austin, had died in 1938, Mum, my Grandma and Uncle John felt their lives in Liverpool had become so bleak, they had to have a fresh start somewhere new. They decided on Torquay, and it turned out to be a very good move.

Torquay was in the south, on the "English Riviera," and relatively warm - at least compared to Lancashire, and the Mersey area - even palm trees flourished, and it gave them the complete change of scene they needed so much.

The Imperial Hotel in Torquay was quite famous. It attracted an upper-class clientele, and Mum was very happy when she landed a job as one of the receptionists; Uncle John, who had studied shorthand, typing and bookkeeping, was appointed as secretary to the then Manager, Mr H M Chapman. Mum told me only the best people stayed there, and would regale me with stories of the rich, titled and famous folk she had met as they checked into the hotel, and how notes were taken on cards, detailing the likes and dislikes of all the guests; these were followed implicitly by all the staff.

My Grandma also found work at the hotel as a chambermaid; she worked hard, and it took her mind off all the sadness and loss she had suffered over the previous five years. Even though she was profoundly deaf, it was a job she could do well; during their time there, Grandma worked her way up, until she was also responsible for more housekeeping duties, such as keeping a check on the linen.

Mum and Uncle John had very happy memories of the time they spent there, so when I suggested we could go back and pay a visit, he was really excited about it.

I got in touch with the Manager, Cormac O'Keefe - a charming man who made us so welcome, and took us round the hotel, pointing out things that had changed over the years. One thing that had definitely not changed, was the warmth of the hospitality! Before we left, we were invited to take afternoon tea at The Imperial - a very special occasion, and afterwards Cormac also presented us with a copy of a book about the history of the hotel.

Uncle John, Alexandra and Cormac O'Keefe
at The Imperial Hotel, Torquay, 2011

Marguerite, Uncle John's late wife, was born in nearby Paignton; before we left the west country, we were able to take Uncle John all around the Torbay area, including Paignton and Newton Abbott, for more trips down memory lane.

And now, eleven years later, we were back in Torquay; for a different reason, on a dancing holiday with Starlight Dancing, but The Imperial Hotel was still there, as inviting as ever, with magnificent views across the bay. Uncle John, my Mum and my Grandma are no longer with us, but we thought it was a great time to renew our association with a hotel that had meant so much to them.


 

The Ferry and the Speedboat: "I'm quicker than you are!" - "But I'm bigger than you are!"

Since our last visit in 2011, there is a new owner and a new manager, and happy plans are afoot to ensure The Imperial Hotel returns to its former 5-Star glory! 

 

We booked a table on the terrace, for tea for two at 2.30 p.m.  It was a glorious afternoon, with wonderful views, and how we enjoyed ourselves, sipping tea, spreading plain and sultana scones with butter (the butter was just for me!) and cream, and strawberry jam, and soaking up the atmosphere.

 



 I am sure Uncle John, my Mum and my Grandma were gently observing us and approving of us enjoying such a happy time - it was certainly a trip back in time for me, remembering how much Uncle John, Wendy and I had been treated so royally during our visit in 2011.


 Here's to the next time!

 

 

 

 








 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment