Thursday 15 April 2021

I Undergo Surgery

I Undergo Surgery

I didn't get much sleep that Sunday night. I was up early, because I'd been told I would be going to theatre at about 2.30, and I would be allowed a very light breakfast - cereal and tea - but as I had to be finished by 8.00 a.m., it would be brought to me by 7.00 a.m. In the event, the instruction for an early meal got lost somewhere, so I ended up having just a slice of toast. I wasn't terribly hungry anyway, but I was glad of a cup of tea. 

Then I was told I needed to pack my suitcase again, because my belongings would be taken to a safe place whilst I was in theatre, and during the time I was in Intensive Care. I had a shower, and was given a gown, jazzy red non-slip socks and nettie knickers to wear, and the time soon whizzed;  and then I had to climb on to a special trolley for the trip to the operating theatre. 

The first thing I noticed was that it was covered with a peculiar plastic/rubber material - whatever it was, it was very cold, and I remarked on it, but there was no explanation, just a swift transfer and I got the feeling that by this stage, everyone was just galloping along: It was literally "all systems go," and there was no time to waste.

I knew there were a lot of people thinking of me and praying for me, so many friends and all my loved ones were all keeping me close; and on the journey to the theatre, I also prayed for courage. I remember thinking I could hardly believe I was actually doing this, and almost ready to face major surgery, and I did not feel very brave. It's a weird feeling, knowing you are so far committed to everything, and there was no pulling out of it now! 

As I was wheeled into the ante room adjacent to the actual operating theatre (maybe patients never get to see that room!), I was met by my anaesthetist. It seemed to me to be very small area, and really filled up with ... I don't know what, equipment, I suppose, but it certainly felt cramped! I was aware there was no small talk, just very calm, cool efficiency in the few seconds it took to organise the preparations; I asked if I should count down when I had the anaesthetic, but I cannot even remember what anyone said, because I was swiftly asleep. 

Later, when I was given the report of my operation, it made quite scary reading. Much of the procedure I knew anyway, and it was comforting to know that it had all gone according to plan; the new valve had been implanted, and then my heart had been restarted without any problems. During surgery, my body temperature had been reduced to 32 degrees, which possibly accounted for the very cold material I had been put on to begin with. 

However, after the operation, and some hours after I had been taken to Intensive Care, it was noticed I was losing blood, so my surgeon was recalled; he decided to revisit the site, and see what was going on. The realisation I had been opened up again was quite a shock, but my right mammary artery was bleeding, and this had to be stopped. Then my sternum was put back together again, and I was sent back to Intensive Care for a few more hours. 

I later found out my surgeon had kept in touch with Wendy and Bob throughout this time, and kept them informed of my progress. When Al discovered I'd had a second operation, his immediate reaction was, "I think you guys need some company!" and he was able to relinquish his paramedic shift and drive straight up to London. 



No comments:

Post a Comment