Friday 23 April 2021

A Follow-Up

A Follow-Up

I was due to have a follow-up appointment with my surgeon some weeks after the operation, but in view of the problem I'd had with the atrial fibrillation, I requested an earlier date, just to make sure everything was going along well, and an appointment was made for me on 9 March.

I went with Wendy, and had a very thorough meeting with my surgeon; it was very reassuring to be told everything was healing well, and my sternum was stable. We discussed the medication I'd been prescribed during my stay in A&E, and I was advised to stop the Rivaroxaban, and return to taking 75mg of dispersible aspirin instead. I was really pleased about that, because I felt the Rivaroxaban was quite a strong medication, and I am at least more "at home" with aspirin! I'll still tell people like my dentist if I have to have a filling or any other work done that I am taking a maintenance dose of  aspirin, and of course I only ever take it with my breakfast, or other meal - never on an empty stomach!

I mentioned I sometimes feel short of breath on exertion, but today my blood pressure and heart rate were fine. 

It was nice to have all my questions - and the ones Wendy presented as well - answered, and it was a case of so far, so good. I have lost weight because I have been on diuretics, but I can stop those now, and I should soon regain the lost kilos - I'm eating well, thanks to Wendy's good cooking and everyone's encouragement.

Because Wendy's dad suffered a massive heart attack when he was only 59, and now with me having undergone surgery with "interesting" variations from the norm, we asked if Wendy should also be checked, to make sure she is safe and well? It was agreed that, although there is no rush, it would be a good idea, and my surgeon said he would be happy to refer Wendy to a consultant on the NHS. However, in view of the way things are at the moment, and likely to be for the foreseeable future, we said we'd really prefer to go directly through him; so later this year, we will request an appointment with him, and some tests to make sure all is well. 

I think we all like to feel we are under the care of someone who knows us now, and who can see us when it is necessary; it gives us peace of mind, which is worth so much!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment