Monday 25 January 2021

I Receive My Invitation To Be Vaccinated

 I Receive My Invitation To Be Vaccinated

Quite out of the blue - as I thought I was still in the younger age bracket yet to be called for a Covid vaccination! - I received a text message on my ancient mobile phone, saying I should book an appointment for my first dose. It was at a Clinic in Kennington, so I found out the phone number for them, but when I got through, I was told it had to be organised through my GP's surgery, and  by the time I managed to speak to someone there, all the available "slots for shots" had gone. I was, to say the least, a trifle disappointed! 

However, the Receptionist at the surgery told me not to worry; more slots were being released, and were usually sent out on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Armed with this information, I kept my mobile phone close by me at all times, ready for any incoming messages.

A few days later - on the Wednesday - another message pinged into the inbox, inviting me to book an appointment; this time it was much easier. I had a choice of two - very close - venues, at either St Thomas's Hospital or Guy's Hospital. Guy's is near London Bridge, which has on-going roadworks, whilst St Thomas's Hospital is on Westminster Bridge Road, where there are no problems, so that was clearer, that was the one I plumped for. I also had a much shorter reference number to enter and, within a couple of minutes, I had a slot booked for 3.45 p.m. the next day, with my second inoculation also entered for the same time, on 10 April. I was rather sorry there is now such a long delay between each dose, but as that is the time frame now chosen by the powers that be, we have to go with it. 

Wendy drove me to the Hospital, and it turned out to be a really positive experience. We found a good parking spot in the underground car park, and walked up, fully masked and gloved, into the hospital. Apart from Hospital staff, there was a lot of army personnel on duty as well, and they were so helpful and efficient.  I'd been given two minor pieces of misinformation: the inoculations were being held in and area called "Westminster 1" and one nurse said I needed to take the lift to the first floor, walk along the corridor to the end, where I would find it. As I walked along, I checked with another member of staff, and she said I definitely had to be on the ground floor, because I was actually walking along to the endoscopy suite - oh, dear! That was clearly wrong, so back I went to the ground floor, and walked along outside until I reached a Marquee labelled "Westminster 1", where I queued up. Happily, the afternoon wasn't too cold to be out of doors, because when I reached the head of the queue, the lady taking down names was extremely apologetic, but had to tell me, there were in fact two centres, both called "Westminster 1"! and the one I needed was in the Gassiot Centre. 

Apart from these hiccups, in the end it all went extremely well. At the Gassiot Centre, I was definitely on their list, and progressed through to the waiting room and then to another area where I answered a questionnaire about my current health and any allergies, etc; when everything was considered to be hunky-dory, a prescription was issued for me to have the Pfizer vaccine and a short while later I was sitting in the little vaccination room - somewhat trepidatiously, as I am definitely trypanophobic! - and being reassured by the delightful lady who was ready to administer the dose. 

I had already taken the precaution of smothering both my upper arms with Emla Cream - an amazing anaesthetic cream that really works! The nurse agreed it was a brilliant idea, and there I sat, feeling reasonably calm and confident, even to the point that I sang whilst she did her work; I did not feel a thing.

I had to sit quietly in another area for a little while, to make sure I hadn't developed a severe reaction, but I was fine, and Wendy drove me home.

The only side-effect I had, which started after a couple of hours, was a heavy arm; it was as if I had a bag of cement attached to it, but that lasted for only a day, and didn't stop me doing anything I wanted to do. 

It is such a relief to know that at least I will now start to develop some resistance to the virus. We all continue to be careful; we obey all the regulations and everything we can do to help to stop the virus spreading will benefit us all in the long run.  



No comments:

Post a Comment