Wednesday 21 October 2020

I Have Been Under The Weather!

 I Have Been Under The Weather!

If anyone has been wondering why it took me over three weeks since Mum's funeral to post a piece on how sweetly it all went, and another fortnight to publish this piece on my blog, let me start with a very heart-felt warning:

Do NOT go out at dusk, unless you are covered from head-to-toe in material that offers protection from gnat/midge bites. I did go out, sans covering, two days before Mum's funeral and, as wisdom comes from learning from other people's mistakes, I hope this post will prevent someone else from providing a meal for the early evening flying squad.

We had everything prepared for Mum's funeral on 18 September, and were getting ready to drive up to Liverpool on Thursday, 17 September, which entailed a very early start to avoid the worst of the traffic. I had set my alarm for 4.00 a.m., to give myself nice time for a cup of tea and a Weetabix, before leaving at about 5.00 a.m. So far, so good. 

However, one last job remained: to let our lovely neighbours have our telephone numbers and check that everyone who knew we would be away, would be able to keep in touch with each other. Our neighbours are really kind and helpful, and one family also had a set of keys. On Wednesday - early evening, just as it had turned to dusk - I thought I would "nip out" quickly,  to give the lady next door the information. I was outside for less than a minute - she also said she thought the midges were out and about, and didn't want to linger, so I gave her the piece of paper, thanked her so much, and was back indoors in seconds. 

Seconds, yes; but long enough for the sharp mouthed gnats to snap open their jaws and their white, starched table cloths, and tuck in all down my right leg; a little less enthusiastically down my left leg, and one deposited a delightful bite on my right thigh. 

I realised I'd been bitten, but not the extent to which they had gorged on me. With all the other things to check on, and make sure nothing was left behind, I slept Wednesday night; got up early on Thursday, and we all set off for Liverpool as planned.

I was still unaware of how badly I'd been bitten! and with the solemnity of Mum's funeral, and the course of the Church Service taking priority, I didn't realise quite how things were progressing. Getting out of the limousine at Kirkdale cemetery, I noticed the red lump on my right thigh; as I stood up, I quickly made sure the skirt of my dress was discreetly pulled down to cover it. I thought not much more about it, and concentrated on the final part of Mum's funeral at the graveside.  

Then I was distracted by the celebratory tea at Panoramic 34, although by then I was beginning to feel a bit weary; considering all the travelling we'd done, and the emotional day we had just had, it was not surprising I was tired.

Because Al had to work the next day (Saturday), after the tea at Panoramic 34, he and Hannah had had to leave to drive home; when we got back to the Hotel, the intention was to have some dinner, and get a reasonably early night, but I really did not feel like it - the dinner, that is, not the early night! - and I was happy to have a Caramel Apple Betty pudding, and a pot of tea, and leave it at that. 

We got back home on the Saturday evening, and it became clear how much the gnat bites were affecting me. I had large lumps from every bite, and some were so close together, they had formed one large mountain chain-like area, creating a continuous swelling. None of the sites was itchy - they were just very painful.

I bathed them, smothered Germolene all over each area of attack, and got some rest. The next day, the Pharmacist recommended I try a topical antihistamine cream, with the proviso that if I was still worried/the bites were no better, I should contact my GP. 

Who would guess 60 seconds out of doors could cause such disruption to one's well-being?!  

The bites continued to aggravate me, becoming so painful it hurt to have my legs on the sheets at night - even the light sheet over the top of my pins caused pain - and then I noticed my right ankle and foot were very swollen, which really worried me. I tried sleeping with my feet raised up on a pillow, but that did not help very much. 

Because of concerns with the virus, it is very difficult to get a face-to-face consultation with a GP, but I at least managed to get a telephone call with a doctor at my practice. After I'd explained what had happened, and the way things were going, he prescribed a week-long course of antibiotics for me; I had had to take some antihistamine medicine as well. 

Because I can't get tablets or capsules down me (I gave up struggling with them years ago - and it's no fun trying to take pills in jam, or squidging out the powder from a capsule onto a spoon filled with marmalade) I had to remember to request everything be prescribed in a suspension, and at least it was all available. The antibiotics were pretty horrible - I had to take four doses a day, on an empty stomach, which meant one hour before, or two hours after, food. Because I am such a slow eater, this meant it was difficult to time the four doses at equal distances, but I managed, and at last they began to take effect. 

Slowly, the lumps became less painful, and the mountainous ridges became more discernible as the individual bites they once were. It's now over a month since the midges did their work on me, and at last I can feel each lump is getting smaller; but what a salutary experience it has been.

I have learned my lesson well: NEVER to go out at dusk unless I am completely covered up and well protected again the little blighters that bite large. 

 


 








No comments:

Post a Comment