Thursday 17 January 2019

I Love To Iron... No Longer ...

I Love To Iron... No Longer...

I think everyone who knows me, is aware I love to iron. Last week, my beautiful, ideal for the job, faithful Rowenta dry iron blew a gasket, flexed its muscles, threw in the towel and gave up the ghost.

That iron had been a household staple since Wendy was a little girl, and it was a joy to use. I know after so many years, it certainly didn't owe me anything, but I really miss it, and especially how easy it was to use - I could sit and iron happily for hours, feeling I was smoothing out creases not only of the clothes, but of life as well. Modern irons tend to be hefty affairs, with reservoirs for water should you require the steam option. I don't, and the Rowenta was slim and neat, with no superfluous plastic overhanging the soleplate making it chunky. It was not too heavy, and the handle was a perfect fit for my hand - I do not have great big mitts, and the slim handle was easy to hold, allowing me to manoeuvre the iron into all the areas of a garment I wanted to go. It could get into the fiddliest places, and had pressed more frilly blouses and more pleated skirts than I could ever count.

I have looked up "retro irons" on the computer, and a few have come up on e-bay, but I'm a bit reluctant to buy a second-hand iron without knowing its history! My Rowenta was made in Germany, with the number LA58, and if anyone reads this blog, and knows of a place where I could buy a new "old fashioned" iron, I would love to know about it!

In the meantime... Yes, I'm still ironing, and shall persevere with the replacement, but the gentle pleasure has rather gone out of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment