Friday 30 December 2022

Christmas 2022

Christmas 2022 

How swiftly days pass - all the excitement and preparation for Christmas, presents to wrap and send and, at this time of year, I am always reminded of Mum, as she used to help me by holding the wrapping paper in place, whilst I wielded the Sellotape. She would look up at me and grin, and say, "Now, don't stick my finger to the parcel!"  At least this year, I was "well ahead of the game," as they say, along with Christmas cards to friends and loved ones in England and overseas: due to action by the Royal Mail, I really had to send everything off as early as I could, and I got most of our mail - cards, parcels and letters - away in November. From everyone we have heard from so far, everything arrived in good time!

Our Christmas Day was a very happy and peaceful time, made extra special by having the chance to speak to Al and Dani on Face Time. It's a wonderful thing, to be able not just to hear, but also to see our loved ones at special times. Apart from me, everyone has Apple phones, so the connection on Christmas Day was easy. On the Samsung phone Wendy gave me, I can do WhatsApp and have messages and phone conversations, but that's about it. I can't take photos or upload them, and it's clear I have still so much to learn!

Al and Dani rang us just as I had been carving the turkey and dishing up the dinner, and they asked Wendy to take a photo of her plate, and send it to them, so here it is:

We had roast turkey (courtesy of Wendy, it was a fresh bird from Waitrose), roast caramelised potatoes, parsnips, carrots, swede, peas, Brussels sprouts and Yorkshire puddings, with a slice of Tunis Cake and chocolate Yule Log to follow.

Apparently, it is quite the thing nowadays for people having a meal in a restaurant to photograph their lunch/dinner/tea and upload the picture so that their friends can see what they are having - very strange! 

Anyway, if nothing else, it proves I cooked the "full monty" meal. 

Afterwards, we had a wonderful time, opening all the beautiful presents we had been given; everyone is so very kind and thoughtful, and we loved and appreciated every gift very much. 

Using the magic of the time-delay switch on the camera, we also took a photo of all three of us in front of the Christmas Tree:

Another photograph for the Memory Bank!

We might have been only few in number, but what a happy little band we were. We listened to some carols, and watched the King's speech on t.v. Everything had gone beautifully, and we have wonderful memories of a very happy 

Christmas Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment