Thursday 13 January 2022

Why There Was Such A Gap Between Posts!

Why There Was Such A Gap Between Posts! 

So, there I was, merrily tapping away on the computer, writing my latest ideas for something people might find interesting to read on my blog; the piece was about our visit on 1 November to Drapers Hall in London, and everything was going well. I also had several photographs to insert to illustrate the article, and after several editorial checks and re-writes, I was ready to add the pictures, before clicking on the "publish" button.

I have been writing my blog for a few years now, and I reckoned I had got the routine for adding photographs to my text, down to a fine art: click on the "insert image" button, ask to "upload" it from the computer, "choose files," and then press "select;" and, hey presto, as if by magic, the picture appears wherever you placed the cursor on the page.

The computer had other ideas. I went through the routine correctly, and it appeared to upload the photographs, but then, when I wanted to copy and paste everything into a word document - so that I could print a hard copy to proof-read, with both pictures and text - it produced only the text, with great gaps where the pictures should have been. 

Clearly, this was most unsatisfactory - I am not comfortable reading articles straight off the screen - and a way had to be found to allow me to have a full draft of my blog, complete with photos.

Up until a few days ago, I had been using my old tried and trusted (trusted? well... maybe not!) web browser, but the emphasis was on the fact that it was indeed, very old. After much head scratching and searching for a solution (not by me!), one was found by transferring my blog to another, more modern, web browser.

 Happily, there are not many differences in the way it works, and I have just had to learn where my blog is "sitting" - in the bookmark section - and it now seems to be fully operational once more, which is why on 10 January, I was at last able to post my article about the Drapers Hall visit.

This is the trouble with computers, though. They get old and then they become obsolete, pack up working, and very often need "mending with a new one" - at a great deal of expense, plus the aggravation of having to learn the intricacies of a new system and new layout - when all I need is a "QWERTY" keyboard and being able to print out what I've written.

I must admit the facility of being able to "cut and paste" text from one part of an article to another is very useful, and if I change my mind about the juxtaposition of one paragraph with another, saves me having to type the whole thing all over again; but most of the fancy tricks available just pass me by, and I just want to use it like a glorified typewriter - without having to think about getting replacement black and red typewriter ribbons. Does anyone remember those, now? Or the little white plastic strips you could use to correct a typo?  Happy days. Simple days! 

I am presently writing about Christmas and our happy festive celebrations, which will be next up in the "Wisdom of Mum" saga. Mum may not be with us in a physical presence, but we think of her - and my Grandma, and Uncle John - so much, and we all feel my blog is still influenced by them, and all the other lovely people who have a positive influence on our lives. 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment