Thursday 6 June 2019

Uncle John Moves To Jindalee

Uncle John Moves To Jindalee

Whilst Uncle John was on the palliative care ward at St Vincent's Hospital, we always knew the maximum time he could stay there was six weeks; he was transferred from Princess Alexandra Hospital to St Vincent's Hospital on 28 March, and we were painfully aware of the days flying by.

I rang Uncle John every other day and, over time, got to know all the nurses on their different shifts. The phone by his bed did not have a button to increase the volume, but everyone was so helpful, staying with him for a few minutes, to make sure he got the gist of what I was saying.

As I've written before, it is such a shame that my cousin does not communicate with us. Wendy has always kept the door open for contact - she sends cards and notes to him and his wife at appropriate times throughout the year, but never receives a response.. That is something we have to accept, but we were concerned that if Uncle John left St Vincent's Hospital, we would not be told where he was going.

At last, there came some really great news. The Palliative Care Nurse Manager e-mailed me to say that on 2 May, Uncle John would be transferred to the TriCare nursing home, in Jindalee, which is only about a 7 minutes' drive from his son's home.

We were so grateful for this information! and once we knew Uncle John was safely ensconced in his new abode, I was able to call him. He was pretty cheerful and more or less accepted he couldn't go back to his old unit in Marsden, but being in a nursing home was definitely a step up from lying in a hospital palliative care bed!

Since then, I have been able to call Uncle John regularly. He doesn't have a phone in his room, but the nurses have phones with a speaker button, which they take to him when I ring, and turn up the volume. I so appreciate them doing this, as I know how busy they are, and try never to outstay my welcome, speaking to Uncle John for only a couple of minutes. This is long enough to tell him we're all thinking of him, and wishing him well!

Not long after his transfer to Jindalee, I had one very disturbing conversation with Uncle John, when he was clearly very upset. Uncle John told me, his son had been to visit him; my cousin had said to his dad, "....you haven't got long to live!"

I tried to reassure Uncle John; I said, "That's ridiculous! No-one can say just how long any of us have got left to live! You're doing so well; if you hadn't been doing well, you would have stayed in St. Vincent's Hospital, and you wouldn't be in the nursing home now!"

"Yes... well", said Uncle John, reluctantly, "I suppose that's true..."

I stayed on the line a couple of minutes more, encouraging and cheering him, and promised to call him again in a day or so.

After that, I rang the Nursing Home straight back, and spoke to the lovely lady who had answered my call the first time round; I repeated what Uncle John had told me, and how very upset he was.

Her reaction was immediate: "That's terrible! I'll get someone to go to him right now, and give him some TLC!"

It worked brilliantly, and the next time I rang Uncle John, he was happy and much more like his old self. In future, the nurses will keep an eye on him, and make sure he isn't left feeling so despondent.

Knowing Wendy is flying out to see him again very soon, is also lifting his spirits. We have already checked there are clothes in his wardrobe; if he is fit enough and up for it, and the medical staff are happy about it, Wendy will take him out in the car, and drive him to some of the places they know so well. We even harbour a hope it may be possible for them to go to Forest Lake, and enjoy another lunch at Sizzlers! We shall see how things go; but in the meantime, Uncle John remains hopeful, positive and cheerful!




1 comment: