Friday 10 May 2019

Heading Home - Singapore


Heading Home - Singapore

Saturday, 30 March, found us up very early. We got to the airport in good time, checked in, and caught our flight.

My goodness, it was a bumpy trip! The food was enough to tide me over, and I watched yet another film. I don't see a film for years, and suddenly, as a member of a captive audience on a flight, I have now seen three Oscar winning films. Clearly, to keep up with all the new-release movies, I shall have to make more long-distance flights.

We landed at Changi safely, and went through passport control; both Wendy and I got a stamp in our passports. I chatted to the lady officer for a couple of minutes; I suspect not many passengers have time to smile, let alone say hello. She asked me how our flight had been? and when I admitted it had been a bit bumpy, she was very sympathetic.

Usually, Wendy uses the underground train to travel from Changi to the hotel, but this time there were two of us, which made hiring a taxi worthwhile. The driver was waiting for us, which was quite a treat; However, when Wendy noticed the Hertz Car Rental office was situated right by the taxi pick up point, she said, "Next time, I'll hire a car!"

It was a pleasant ride to the Pan Pacific; although I wasn't quite as tired as Wendy, it was good to arrive at the hotel, and Wendy was greeted like an old friend.




The receptionists remembered her - of course it had only been a couple of weeks since her last stay there - and we had a beautiful room on the 26th floor, with fine views.

Bird's eye view from the 26th floor
Wendy knows Singapore like the back of her hand, and pointed out places of interest.

We unpacked very quickly and settled in, but then the tiredness really kicked in, and we decided to ring room service and have dinner in our room. Normally, I'd always prefer to eat in the restaurant - if something has been missed from what you've ordered, it's easy to ask the waiter for it; but our meal was delivered very swiftly, beautifully presented, and exactly what we had asked for: Minestrone soups, Margarita pizza, the usual tea for two and extra pot of hot water, hot toast, rolls, and lashings of butter - too delicious! 

Although Raffles Hotel is still closed for refurbishment, the Long Bar is now open; after dinner, I felt refreshed, so I asked Wendy if she would like to go there, but she was so exhausted, she was not up for a fairly short walk, even with the promise of a Singapore Sling as a reward.

Instead, we made a list of things to do the next day:

1) Book a "duck" tour
2) Walk round the Fountain of Wealth
3) Giant - a supermarket to buy Lux soap (in fragrances not available in England)
4) Take the "duck" tour
5) The Long Bar
6) Raffles' souvenir shop (That, at least, is already open!)
7) A shoe shop
8) Have dinner
9) Visit Super Tree Grove for the light show.

And on Monday, weather permitting, we would go on the Singapore Wheel.













No comments:

Post a Comment