Thursday 14 February 2019

And Then At The Weekend...

And Then At The Weekend...

On Saturday, I was up very bright and early; I planned to meet Wendy in town, and have breakfast with her at Garfunkels in Leicester Square. There was someone wonderful to look after Mum whilst I was out for a few hours, but I had to make sure everything was organised for Mum before I left.

Everything went like clockwork; the ladies arrived and washed and dressed Mum, and sat her in the chair; we washed her hands and helped her to brush her teeth, and then I started her off on cornflakes and tea and made sure she had her four pills.

I got into London at about 10.45; Wendy was already seated in Garfunkels, and it was lovely to have a leisurely breakfast with her. Wendy will soon be off on another trip to visit Uncle John, so after we'd eaten, we went to Fortnum and Mason to stock up on tea and biscuits and a few other treats for Wendy to take with her. I do love shopping at Fortnum and Mason - it's so elegant, and there is always someone immediately at your elbow to help answer any queries. Although at first glance it might appear very formal, the staff also have a great sense of humour, especially when I asked about finding a jar of their chilli-willy-Piccadilly-piccalilli!

Whilst she's away, Wendy will also be visiting Jane, the daughter of a lady called Mary who, all those years ago, was Mum's best friend in Durban. Jane lives a little way from Brisbane, but it's a nice day trip out, and Wendy and Uncle John will be able to visit her, so we chose some goodies for Jane and her family as well.

Wendy stayed in town to meet other friends for supper; I got home in the mid-afternoon, whilst Mum was having her afternoon nap. It was such a treat to have been able to have a few hours free to see Wendy and enjoy a nice time with her.

I got on with making Mum's dinner; she got up very happily and ate well, and was in a happy mood. After supper, I played the piano and we sang; Mum joined in with great gusto. When the ladies arrived to get Mum into bed, they heard Mum singing, and applauded her - she was in very good voice.

Sunday was a little more difficult; Mum was up happily enough, and had her breakfast - again, reasonably quickly, and she had finished her tea by mid-day - but she said she was tired, and had kept dozing off in between mouthfuls of cornflakes, so when the ladies came at 12.30 to get her into bed for her nap, we thought she was certainly ready for a snooze.

However, even though she was tucked up comfortably, Mum did not sleep. She was very restless and agitated, and kept calling out, "Dad! Dad!" She was convinced that the wardrobe door was the back door to the garden, and asked us to let her mother in.

The ladies were back at 4.30 and took her to the bathroom before sitting Mum back in her chair. Wendy rang at 5.00 p.m., and had a chat with Mum - Mum was quite lucid, but we had a sense there was a restlessness there, and Sydney said we should not leave Mum on her on her own, so we made sure someone stayed with her.

I got on with making Mum's dinner immediately, and brought it through for her; again, Mum ate well, and then she became engrossed in a programme on t.v. about Africa - she remembers so much about the time we lived there, and of course she knows all the animals, so it was a good distraction for her. She became calmer and later on was very content to tear up pages from one of the supermarket catalogues. (We have a gentle theory that she is making confetti, or hamster bedding....  yes, they are old jokes, but still make us smile!)

After supper, Leanne and Sydney returned for the bed call; at first, Mum settled down nicely, but then she became restless again, pulling the bedside table at all angles to the bed. Earlier, I had put Sudocrem on her arms, and then covered them with kitchen towel to help keep the cream in place; I do this every evening, but tonight, within a short time, Mum had pulled everything off, so I guessed more Sudocrem ended up on the sheet than on Mum's skin.

I went in several times to her, to encourage her to try to sleep, but she kept calling out that she was "...Ready to go!" and that Wendy had been in to see her. There was a lot more of this, and it went on for several hours, whilst I was working upstairs, writing.  I went down a few times to remind her it was very late, and time to sleep!

At 2.00 a.m., I went in to Mum one more time; by then, I was really tired. I said, very firmly,

"I'm going to bed now, Ma. It's two o'clock in the morning, and I am very tired!"

Mum was all bright-eyed and wide awake. "Oh, haven't you been asleep then?"

"No, I haven't, and I am going to bed now!"

I asked Mum, "Are you comfy?"

"Yes, I am," she replied.

"Are you warm?" I asked

"Yes, I'm warm," she said.

"Good! Then I am going to bed now. You settle down and get some sleep!"

Back upstairs, I heard Mum talking again - I think to Wendy- saying she was "...Ready to go...."  I realised this could possibly go on for hours, and I really did need to get some rest myself. I left the bedroom door ajar; I have good hearing, and knew I would hear Ma, if she became really agitated, but after about an hour or so, Mum was quiet.

And I also got some sleep.

I wonder if she will ready for getting up in the morning, or perhaps sleeping through to lunchtime again? Time will tell!














No comments:

Post a Comment