Saturday 4 August 2018

I Have Been Busy!

I Have Been Busy!

After have a moan a week or so ago, and feeling things getting a bit on top of me, the last few days have been very busy! I really should try and get out more.

I was just thinking about what has happened during July: it has taken some organising, and lots of help with Grandma/Great Grandma sitting (by Wendy and by Al) but I have actually done quite a lot this past month.

I've been to a couple of poetry gigs, which I really enjoy, and written new work to perform at them. It's really important to feel that all the things I do to look after Mum, doesn't mean that the creative   side gets submerged in the process!

I've been to the theatre - to see The King and I at the London Palladium, with the Broadway cast of Kelli O'Hara and Ken Watanabe - and oh, my, just hearing all those songs made me feel like 22 again, when I was singing them myself on stage, or in cabaret. Great memories.

And finally, I was part of a family reunion, meeting a cousin and his wife who now live in New Zealand, and who had not been around for nearly 40 years. It was a terrific afternoon; we had a great time at The Royal Oak in Green Street Green, Orpington, and the staff could not have done more to make sure we had everything we wanted.

Anyone who knows me, knows I like only very plain food - and not too much of it, either. Sometimes, instead of a full meal, I'll have just soup and a pudding - that really is the ideal choice for me. On the day of the Royal Oak reunion, I asked the manager if by any chance there was plain and simple tomato soup on the menu? Not tomato and basil, not tomato and balsamic vinegar.... just tomato soup? The Manager smiled and said he was sure they could manage that! and presently I was served with the most delicious bowl of tomato soup, piping hot, with white bread and butter. It was only later that I discovered he had gone out to the supermarket to buy me just what I wanted; truly a case of someone going the extra mile.

I was so impressed, I had words of praise insistently going through my head; this is the sonnet I composed to thank them:



And Mum? Whilst I had been out gallivanting, she had been well looked after by Wendy and Al, eaten her dinner and supper, and been entertained by Wendy playing the piano.










No comments:

Post a Comment