Monday 2 July 2018

Just When I Was Feeling Despondent.....!

Just When I Was Feeling Despondent....!

When I sat down to write something on this blog on Saturday night/Sunday morning, I was feeling quite weary, and thinking how quickly the days fly past - and all I seem to do are the same things, day in, day out.  When I looked back over the week (or 9 days, as it happened!) in one sense it was good to know the wheels had kept turning; we had all been fed and watered, and Mum was and is eating well.  It's just that sense that maybe you are running to stand still, and there hasn't been time to do anything else - and it's a struggle to be creative and produce original work when you're tired.

Then I read an article in yesterday's Sunday Express, by a lady called Lynne Wallis, writing about her mother, who died three months ago, at the age of 95. Her Mum had been in five care homes over 13 years, and Lynne was lamenting the fact that her Mum had not been well taken care of.

It made me realise we are in fact fortunate to be in the position of being able to take care of my Mum at home. I know not everyone can do this, or cope with the strain of looking after a very elderly relative with dementia, but in my Mum's case, the days when she is really happy and co-operative make caring for her easy; balanced by the times when she can a nightmare, we try and remember that it's all part of the problem!

What does help is knowing that my Mum is surrounded by her family, who really take care of her - making sure she eats and drinks, encouraging her to sing, to do some exercises, to hold a pencil and draw, to watch TV and help her to follow the programmes.

If Mum was in a home, we all know it would be simply impossible for her to receive that level of loving care and attention; like Lynne Wallis, I would be constantly worried about what was going on, and how Mum was being treated.

People have suggested putting Mum in a home for a short respite period, but my gut feeling tells me, her downward spiral would be swift, and it would most likely be impossible for her to return to the level she enjoys at the moment.

There is the other side to consider, too: I think God sets us challenges, and I hope to keep finding the strength to rise to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment