Monday 11 June 2018

An Escape To Poet Paradise

An Escape to Poet Paradise

Looking after Mum means I don't have much chance to pursue the things I really love to do, such as performing poetry I've written, so it was a real treat to be out of the house for the afternoon on 7 June, travel up to London and spend a happy hour at the Poetry @3 session, organised by The Poetry Society's Paul McGrane.

This is a regular monthly meeting, held on the first Thursday of the month, and compered by Paul, who makes sure everyone gets a fair share of the time available. It's always well-attended, with many enthusiastic poets, and can be a truly international gathering!

Because I am always under a time constraint and need to get back home in good time for Mum, I was very grateful to Paul for organising my turn on the bill at an early point in the proceedings - and here's hoping I'll be a regular participant in future.

This month, the theme was Film and T.V., and it was a wonderful feeling to perform and share a couple of poems I'd written, with a generous audience. This is what I came up with:


FIFTEEN MINUTES OF FAME

Take me, make me into a star
Mould me, enfold me, wherever you are.
I'm ready and eager, for fame must be nice -
Whatever the cost is, I'll pay the price.
Who cares if the talent is lacking in me?
With a bit of pizazz, I know I can be
All that men dream of; and much better by far,
With a soupçon of spin, I'll be a big star.

Turning dross into gold isn't easy, I know
But with a touch of the airbrush, see how far I can go!
Don't care if this sounds like a desperate plea
Just work all your magic, and soon you will see
A glittering icon, with falsified glow;
But my goodness, I'll sparkle, and light up the show!



LEAVE OUR CLASSIC FILMS ALONE!

Please don't make a re-make of the classic Casablanca -
For who could fill the Bergman/Bogart roles?
With that smouldering, on-screen chemistry
Their eyes windows to their souls.

Just think of Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom
And Katie Johnson's genteel tour de force -
Outwitting all those Ladykillers
As Mrs. Wilberforce!

And what about The Italian Job?
And Alfie, with Michael Caine -
The re-makes just don't cut it
They're simply not the same.

And whilst we're on the subject
Recall The African Queen
Again, old Humphrey was the star
With Hepburn on the screen.

There was something extra special
About those films - their style and grace
Controlled by classic actors
With skilful use of pace.

The modern films don't have it
They're too much in your face
The special effects and too much noise
Have taken pride of place.

It's the perfect films from long ago
That always stand the test;
Impressions left upon us
That we had seen the best.

And so, if you're still thinking
Of re-making films well-known:
Don't meddle with their magic -
Leave our classic films alone!








No comments:

Post a Comment