Wednesday 28 March 2018

I've Been To A Marvellous Party.....

I've Been To A Marvellous Party....... (28 March 2018)

With apologies to Noel Coward:

I've been to a marvellous party
'Though I didn't go out the front door
All my loved ones were here
To give me a cheer....
I couldn't have liked it more!

I always think clocking up another year is something to celebrate, and I will always look forward to my birthday.  I know for some people, it's an ominous day, and they dread it; I try to think about all I've managed to achieve in the past year, and what I hope to do in this next one!

Because looking after Mum takes up such a lot time every day, and because she is getting a bit frailer as time goes on, it's hard to make plans; but I continue to look ahead and make arrangements, with hope and faith that they will come to fruition.

There was a time, when we would go off to the Ritz 5 times a year, celebrating various birthdays and special occasions,  but now I have to limit our visits, as I can't risk taking Mum out in the winter - for example on Al's birthday in January, or in March, to celebrate mine.

As a result of us not being able to go out, the party has had to come to me on my birthday - and today has been a wonderful day.  Yes, I have had to do the usual things for Mum - preparing breakfast, dinner and supper, and making sure she eats and drinks properly - but I have had help and superb support, and the day has just flown.  I have had phone calls, cards, e-mails, beautiful gifts - and the best thing of all is to know the people I love are all wishing me well and making my birthday one to remember.

Mum has been in great form - she didn't get to bed until nearly midnight; I stayed up a while longer, and went in to see her at about 1.30 a.m.  She was very sleepy, but awake enough to talk to me.

I asked her, 'Are you warm enough, Ma?"

"Oh, yes!" she said, snuggling down again, "I'm very warm!"

A great ending to a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment